Sunday, December 4, 2011

Ice Road and Dog Sledding

We decided to go on a little bit of an adventure and head out for a drive a long the famous Dempster Highway which is the high way of the north. Here we are standing in front of the signs and really there is nothing between each of these towns. LOL
This is what the north looks like. Just past the ridge is the true tundra where there are no trees.

We made it to the Mackenzie River were every year they build an ice bridge to get across the river. This process takes about 2 weeks to do and they continue to flood it so that eventually large trucks can go across. When we were there the maximum weight for going across was 10,000kg eventually it will be up to 100,000kg. It was so cool to drive across the ice bridge and each side was jagged ice flows but we were driving on a smooth surface.

On the other side was this very isolated village. We were hoping to find a store so that we could buy some food but alas there was nothing there except for some homes and a rec centre. It was a little bit eerie. LOL

After a driving adventure it was time to head back and get ready for our next adventure of dog sledding. This was so amazing.


I have seen the pictures for the last couple of years of Jamie and the boys going but it just doesn't do it justice. Being there and experiencing it first had was amazing.

What I loved was how excited the dogs were getting ready to go and you had to really hold them back from taking off, they would be barking and just going nuts, but as soon as you started going it became silent and peaceful.


This was a very steep hill and you had to you the brake to slow the sled down so that you wouldn't run over the dogs with it.

Me and my lead do. I wish that I could remember her name but there were so many dogs that it was hard to keep track.

This was the best day to go as the trees were all snow covered still because there had been no wind. It was so beautiful.

Our group. I know for sure that everyone of us loved this experience.


Crazy Judy in the blue is the owner of the dogs and were we stayed. The whole time she kept yelling at us to have fun and act like 12 year olds and let loose. It was a blast.

We even did some racing across the lakes. Here we are getting ready to take off.

I am so glad that I was able to go on this trip with Jamie and see why he loves going so much. It was very special.

I think that I will even do it again. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment